Thursday, February 26, 2009

Yummy Tummy Thursday ~ Is it Lasagna or a Burrito?

Mexican Twists Installment #3 and the last for awhile is:

Mexican Lasagna

The link is the base I started with and like most (read all the great comments/ratings on it!) I made it my own through some of the ideas.. I make this often its easy and have tried it a few different ways (with corn, with spanish rice (good as a side with it too), enchilada sauce etc.) the following is the way that I like it best but you can change it to what you want, there is tons of possibilities!

Ingredients:
1lb Ground Beef
6 Taco Size Flour Tortillas
2 Cans Refried Beans
(if you aren't a beany family lol nice term right? one can is okay)
1 Can Diced Tomatoes (with juices)
(I prefer petite diced, even more preffered is rotel which for non cooking people is small diced tomatoes with peppers, some prefer to use salsa.)
1 Packet Taco Seasoning
Green Onions
(I put them in the meat mixture but they also can be a garnish on top)
8oz Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
8oz Monterey Jack Cheese (shredded)
1 Regular Size Tub Sour Cream
(I use fat free, because it is smoother/creamier and spreads much easier and its healthier of course but I just like it better then regular yes I know I am weird.)
Lettuce
2 Roma Tomatoes (diced)
1/2 Medium Yellow Onion (chopped)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
In large skillet over medium heat, cook beef with green onion and yellow onion until browned. Drain. Combine with taco seasoning (and water indicated on seasoning packet ONLY IF USING 2 CANS OF BEANS), refried beans and canned diced tomatoes. Lay down 2 tortillas in 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with a layer of the meat mixture, trimming if necessary, and top with cheese. Start a new layer with 2 tortillas. I use 3 layers, depending on modifications you make etc (especially if you remove beans) you might just want 2 layers.
Bake 20 to 30 minutes until heated through and cheese is bubbly. Top with a layer of sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes. Let cool 5-10 minutes before serving. (I don't let it cool because I am not patient enough and do not care if the hot cheese etc just looks like a blob on my plate lol but if you want it to look beautiful let it cool!)




















Sorry for it looking like a blob I didn't let it cool because I was starving lol.. if you want it to be pretty let it cool lol!






No comments:

Parent Reviewers